Thursday, February 08, 2007

Snow in London

"Snow blanketed large areas of England and Wales this morning, causing travel chaos as airports were closed and trains cancelled, while hundreds of schools closed for the day.

Thousands of air passengers faced severe delays after runways at Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Stansted and Luton airports closed for snow to be cleared, with some flights also cancelled at Heathrow and Gatwick.

All runways eventually reopened but passengers were warned to prepare for possibly long delays to flights"

This is the news that greeted me when I woke up at 6.00am this morning, a quick glance out of the window confirmed that the forecasters were correct. It did not start snowing here in London until around 4.00am so all that snow fell in just a couple of hours. This amount of snow is not unusual in the north of the country but is very unusual here in the southeast.
Fortunately I am working from home today so I can sit here in the warm, no commute for me today ;)

A special picture for those of you in Malta & Gozo that have the desire to see snow. It's bloody freezing here..

"The ageing process has you firmly in its grasp if you never get the urge to throw a snowball"
Doug Larson

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The desire to see snow? Who? Where? Not me, I'll happily choose Malta over London on a day like this!

Unknown said...

I agree completly Grego, but many Maltese and Gozitan friends have told me that they would love to see snow..

Anonymous said...

You bet I would Steve!!! And it's sooo unfair that I missed that snow by just 4 days??!