Tuesday, July 11, 2006

A Superb Rose' called Odyssey.

A good wine that I tried on several occasions whilst on vacation in Gozo was a rose' called Odyssey, this wine was not as widely available as I thought it might be, (it was made for the first time this year so is only available in limited amounts) only a few of the restaurants in which I dined seemed to have it on the wine list.
Let me offer some background to this wine first, it is made by the Maltese wine producer Marsovin from grapes grown on the Maltese island of Gozo in two vineyards located near the picturesque Nuffara region in Xaghra, now I believe that these vineyards are not owned by Marsovin but are privately owned by a local farmer and the grapes are grown under the strict guidance of Marsovin.
This rose' is made from 100% grenache.

The Tasting.
Clear, deep pink.
Clean, fruity nose, slight aroma of apples, spice.
Hint of sweetness from the fruit, very little tannin, light in body, fruit flavours explode in the mouth, and the flavours linger nicely.

Conclusion.
I feel that this is as good quality and well made rose' wine that you could find anywhere, to be enjoyed at anytime but goes down particularly well on a warm summers day. It is not a wine that will benefit from aging so should be drunk young.

Price.
I don't seem to be able to find the retail price for Odyssey but I paid 4.25 Maltese Liri at the Oleander restaurant in Gozo, which is around £7.00 sterling, so I am guessing about £4.00 - £5.00 sterling would be about right, great value I think.

"A barrel of wine can work more miracles than a church full of saints"
Old Italian Proverb.







No comments: