Thursday, June 21, 2007

Lille to Gozo.


Our weekend in Lille went very well, we checked in at the Euro star terminal quickly no holdups, left Waterloo on time, drinks and meal were provided on board. It took about 20 minutes to get through the tunnel into France, then on to Lille at high speed. Total journey time 1 hour 40 minutes what a great experience, I would recommend Euro star to anyone.
Our Hotel was superb I highly recommend it, (see previous post) although not cheap, but I suppose you get what you pay for.
Lille itself is full of history and architecture, wonderful food and of course wine, which of course you would expect from France.
One observation I made whilst in France was Many of us Brits are very lazy when it comes to learning foreign languages, because English is spoken so widely I guess, I know the very basics of French, words and a few phrases, but speak French I don't, so it was helpful that many more French spoke English than I expected, making our trip much more enjoyable.

Our return journey was as swift and enjoyable as the journey to France, 1 hour 40 minutes to Waterloo. Unfortunately because of signal failure in London it took us another 1 hour and 40 minutes to commute the 11 miles from Waterloo to our home station of Elstree, we were not amused.
Our suitcases are barely unpacked and we are off to Gozo again on Saturday for some sun and relaxation, as Gill would say "I can't wait to have the opportunity to just get bored, the opportunity to relax", I can't wait. The weather forecast is looking good for the next 5 days roll on Saturday.
The Wimbledon tennis tournament starts here in the UK this weekend and that normally signals a change in the weather for the worst here, so now is probably a good time to be leaving for sunnier climes. I just checked the weather forecast and lo and behold it is for rain in the UK.
"Where you end up isn't the most important thing. It's the road you take to get there. The road you take is what you'll look back on and call your life". - Tim Wiley

No comments: