Friday, December 01, 2006

A Dream Come True

Many definitions of the word 'dream' exist and they all depend very much on the context in which they are used. The most obvious definition is a series of mental images and sounds played out by your subconscious whilst asleep. You can also use the word to describe object or situations in the waking world, such as if you think you are going to catch a particular train into town then you must be dreaming, or this car drives like a dream.
I am particularly fond of the game of Poker in particular Texas Hold-em and have been enthusiastically playing for some 2 years now on a regular basis, I particularly like tournament Poker and enjoy playing both on line and live games. I do fairly well at it although I do not win large sums of money I seem to win slightly more than I lose so my enjoyment of this game is effectively self financing.
My winnings would be normally (at the levels I play) be in the region of $50.00 a day of which I may lose $20.00 - $30.00 so the aggregate just about keeps me ahead. The most I have won in one game is about $100.00, I have always dreamed of winning a substantial amount of money playing Poker, well a couple of days ago my dream came true, although it has to be said that we are talking the lower end of substantial, I mean I am not going to be expecting begging letters just yet.
I qualified through a previous tournament by coming 2nd out of 600 entry's to get into the Victor Chandler $100000 monthly tournament. The final consisted of 110 tables of 9 players each, as players get knocked out the tables are reduced accordingly, until you are left with a final table of 9, this is where the serious money is to be made. I did not make the final table but money is paid to the last 80 places so I was definitely in the money. I finished 16th earning me a reasonable $1600.00, a dream realised. So where should I set my sights next...... to finish in the last 9 in a tournament of this scale would be nice. I will try again next month.

"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable".
Christopher Reeve

No comments: