Saturday, September 30, 2006


Garage Wine From Gozo.

I had the opportunity to try a local garage wine given to me to try by a friend of ours on the island Sabine produced by her husband George, I told Sabine that I would produce some tasting notes for this wine, so here we go.
The wine is made from 100% Syrah grapes, I had quite a struggle opening the bottle but once opened I found a very interesting wine not typical of a Syrah, deep almost black purple in colour, on the nose I found soft red berry fruit and a touch of spice.
On the palate I got a hint of cloves, and spice with a good acid to tannin balance which were both of medium intensity.
It is an honest straight forward wine made to drink within a year to 18 months.
Gill and I enjoyed it with Denci, a local Maltese fish.

Look forward to the next vintage George.

"Fish is the only food that is considered spoiled once it smells like what it is".
P J O' Rourke

No comments: