Monday, May 22, 2006

    The Great Italian Fine Wine Encounter......Report
A great day was had by all, my wife Gill and two of our friends attended this very well organised event, congratulations to "Decanter Magazine."
Of the 300 plus wines available to taste I managed to do justice to 53 of them in the 6 hours that I was there.

Here are a few of the more memorable ones...............



La Tunella Merlot 2004

Ruby red almost garnet in colour. The nose clearly typical merlot, slightly sweet and gentle with hints of plum jam. On the palate, it is dry and mellow, with fruity flavors of blackberries and plums. The merlot scents clearly emerge, the distinct fruits are perfectly blended with the aromas passed to it by the French oak barrels in which it matures.
This wine was served in regular bottles at the tasting, I can only find it listed in the UK by Corney & Barrow in magnums priced £24.16.



Cusumano 'Benuara' Nero d'Avola Syrah

What a character this man is I spent some time talking to Diago Cusamano, you could not find a man more entusiastic about his work.
Dark lush purple color. Lots of spice (cedar, cinnamon and tyme come to mind) . Big on the palate with great fruit and acid balance.
We have 70% Nero d' avola 30% syra.
The wine that I tasted is 2005 which I can not find listed in this country, Oddbins have the 2004 at £8.59.




Passito di Sagrantino di Montefalco DOCG

This is an Umbrian red passito dessert wine, very young (2003), dark purple. A slight nose, with some plummy black fruit. Very tannic on the palate with young black fruit, which helped to balance the sweetness very well, making this wine much more than a novelty red desert wine.
This wine is available in the UK from Alvini Ltd, I am unable to find a price.

Zenato Wines

I really enjoyed these wines, Zenato are a very big producer but the quality of the wines is very high.
They include -
  • Sergio Zenato, Laguna Riserva DOC 2003 - 100% Trebbiano.
  • Ripassa Valpolicella Classico Superiore 2003 - 80% Corvina Veronese, 10% Rondinella, 5% Molinara & 5% Sangiovese.
  • Amarone Classico della Valpolicella - 80% Corvina, 10% Rondinella, 5% Sangiovese & 5% Molinara.
all available from Euro wines in the UK.

One of the stands at the tasting was hosted by a lady called Anna Pakula and her work was simply stunning.
Photography art work mainly catering for the trade, promotions, brochures etc.
Anna shows her art all over the world if you get the opportunity to see some of her pictures, go for it.

I did intend to make this report a bit longer, but I can not believe how long it has taken me to compile just these few short paragraphs.
Well this is new ground for me, so for what it's worth here it is........
;)


Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.
Astrophanes

No comments: