Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Story So Far

The first new post for a long time I know, well I have been busy and my mind has been on other things, more of that later.
Christmas Week was absolutely glorious here in Gozo, the sun was shinning and it was warm around 20c most of the time even 22c on one day and all this while most of Northern Europe was covered with snow and suffering freezing temperatures.

Most of my recent efforts have been focused on getting SCH Fire Safety up and running. Me being foreign and therefore not savvy in the local ways dealing with tax, VAT etc has been as slow as a turtle with no legs, that's not to say that they haven't done a good job just zzzz slow.
Marketing and networking is not something that I have had to deal with before so that is a steep learning curve but I think I am getting there with work slowly coming in and a bucket full of promises from other areas. What is surprising is work that may be coming from the Middle East interest has come from Libya, Abu Dhabi and cash strapped Dubai, let's see what the coming months bring.

Two months in the making my new website is now up and running, business cards are being printed and I am designing a brochure as a hand out, the next stage is directly approaching the various companies that I think will be happy to use my services, that should be an interesting experience.
I am looking to refresh my teaching skills, it has been a few years since I had any formal teaching tuition so next week will be taking the CIEH (Chartered Institute of Environmental Health) Professional Trainer Certificate, I am looking forward to that.
That's it for now.

'Make a decision, even if it's wrong'. Jarvis Klem

1 comment:

Joe said...

Bravo! I never seem to get over the surprise between the difference there is in doing what one is good at, and the difficulty of trying to run a business where - frankly - you JUST want to do what you're good at. And if you're successful, you get to do LESS of what you're good at too! It's an unescapable irony of becoming any good at anything.

I've worked in Architecture, and in particular had my nose in the life safety codes, and working out security schemes where the owner doesn't risk killing people, but running a business at it?!? All I can say is that you're one BRAVE, BRAVE fellow!

Good luck with all of it!